Global C-Level Executive
Key Areas of Value Include:
Business Development & Growth
International Market Expansion
Revenue & Profit Improvements
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Strategic Thought Leadership
Global business, public affairs, and strategic communications leader with record of achievement in orchestrating groundbreaking entrepreneurial endeavors and catalyzing transformative change for established companies seeking market share expansion and accelerated profitability. Capitalizes on decades of experience in Asia, Europe, and the United States, serving as strategic advisor to boards, multinational companies, and C-level business leaders. Offers international perspective as board member of East West Bancorp, Inc., a Nasdaq-listed company and largest independent bank in Southern California. History of spearheading efforts that elevated public relations industry in China from its inception to sophisticated business sector it is today, as well as serving as vice chairman of Omnicom Group, Inc. [NYSE: OMC] and delivering value to Edelman and Interasia Group in C-level positions. Recipient of multiple honors and awards from national governments and international organizations for contributions to business, philanthropy, health, culture, and education. Fluent: English, Mandarin, French.
Corporate Board Appointments
Board Member - Nomination / Governance & Compensation Committees
2022 – Present
Vice Chairman of the Board
2020 – Present
Boston Management Ltd.
2019 – 2023
Vice Chairman Omnicom Group and Chairman of Omnicom Asia Pacific
2011 – 2018
2015 – 2018
2006 – 2018
1993 – 1997
Beijing International Finance Building
1987 – 1989
1985 – 1993
Serge is a leader with significant global experience, a highly trusted expert in China, Europe and beyond. His decades of experience in Communications and Marketing have added much value on the Synergos Institute board where we serve together. As a person, he is always curious to deepen his understanding, generous with his knowledge, and very kind. His leadership and advocacy of the LGBTQ+ community offers him and any team that he works with valuable perspective on diversity, which is a key ingredient of success on modern boards and for today's corporations.
Serge is a person who connects people and ideas across frontiers. He has been a scrappy entrepreneur in the early days of China's rise and also global Vice Chair of one of the largest advertising agencies in the world. He has deep knowledge of China and Asia but a wide network across Europe and Asia as well. He is comfortable at Davos, but always looks for the most junior person in a room to draw them out and build social bridges. This combination of social intelligence and deep knowledge and experience on boards and in the C-suite make him an exceptional board candidate whom I would recommend without hesitation.
Serge is a brilliant thought leader who can add immense value to any international organization. His expertise in building partnerships in and with China, US and Europe and the wisdom of the strategic counsel he provides are particularly valuable. I have known Serge for over a decade and have observed his diplomatic and elegant presence in several different environments from high-level philanthropic events to think tanks. He is well versed on a wide variety of topics from sustainability and the management of pandemics like SARS to the cultural arts of Asia. Extremely nuanced and culturally astute, he assuredly navigates both people and big ideas, offering meaningful and substantive expertise. I have every confidence that Serge will add integrity and intelligence to any corporate board that values diversity, creativity, international communications and cultural proficiency.
Serge has interacted with C-suite executives for many years. He is also a truly global thinker who has lived and worked in China for decades. He is both a right and left brain thinker...something badly needed in board rooms. He is easy to get along with. A real asset.
Serge is not only a highly successful global business man. He has connections that run deep in China, Europe and the US which would be of interest to any business with global or regional reach. But he is also a person of the highest ethics. When you combine that with his strategic mind and his delightful personality, he would make an excellent addition to many different kinds of boards.
Entrepreneurship & Innovation
- Founded and established Interasia, China’s first independent communications and government relations consultancy, acquiring roster of Fortune 500 clients, including Nike, Intel, Kodak, Mars Inc., Compaq, DuPont, Dior, Hennessy, and others.
- Secured market leader status and subsequently sold company to Edelman, world’s largest PR group, maintaining key role in development of Asia operations as president of Asia division and EVP. Served on global board of this large private company.
- Honored by governments of France, Italy, Belgium, and Morocco and by United Nations for contributions to business, commerce, environmental, social, governance [ESG], philanthropy, and the arts.
- Advised foreign brands organizing headline-grabbing events such as the first Richemont’s Watches and Wonders event at the Forbidden City in 2004 and Fendi’s fashion show on the Great Wall of China in 2007.
- Conceptualized and drove pioneering contributions as recognized authority on strategic communications, M&A activities, and Chinese global expansion as Vice Chairman, Omnicom Group Inc. and Chairman, Omnicom Asia Pacific for 7 years.
- Fueled significant growth in Asia-Pacific region, leveraging deep knowledge of China to contribute to Omnicom’s success, building agencies’ capabilities and reach.
- Established The Serge Dumont Fund, industry’s first university scholarship fund aimed at developing professionals and supporting education in Chinese communications industry.
- Managed Omnicom’s strategic relationship with World Economic Forum. Acted as global executive sponsor and strong supporter of company’s diversity and inclusion and ESG initiatives [Open Pride and Omniwomen].
- Drove awareness of social and public health issues; conceptualized and organized China’s first celebrity charity function to raise awareness of HIV/AIDS, groundbreaking event that received SABRE Award through agency that managed it.
Business Value Creation
- Ensured best quality service delivery to highest professional standards at Omnicom Group; managed and developed Greater China business market to create platform for sustainable and profitable business growth.
- Drove global mandates on behalf of Omnicom, playing integral leadership role at a global marketing and communications company with 70,000+ employees internationally.
- Consistently demonstrated strategic capabilities to build relationships that expanded Omnicom’s operational footprint in one of world’s key growth regions.
- Identified and executed strategic investments in startup operations, fostering growth and success through mentorship and ongoing advisory services.
Strategic Collaborations & Impactful Engagement
- Championed and negotiated establishment of Omnicom building at prestigious Tsinghua University in Beijing.
- Formed alliance with China Europe International Business School [CEIBS] to bring to China Omnicom University, senior management program regarded as one of preeminent professional development programs within industry and considered cultural “glue” of Omnicom network.
- Appointed by World Health Organization and Beijing Municipal Government in 2003 to lead crisis response program in immediate aftermath of SARS pandemic in China.
- Nominated as United Nations Goodwill Ambassador as part of communications-driven response to HIV/AIDS crisis.
Vice Chairman and Chairman Asia Pacific
2011 – 2018
Senior Vice President and President, Asia Pacific, India, Middle East, Africa
2006 – 2011
1997 – 2006
Special Adviser to the President, North Asia
1999 – 2001
Board member, Executive Vice President, President Asia
1993 – 1997
Founder, Chairman and CEO
1985 – 1993
Public Advisory & Leadership Roles
Special Representative: Goodwill Ambassador
2006 – 2009
Year of Italy in China
2005 – 2006
2003 – 2016
Year of France in China Honorary Committee
2004 – 2005
Honorary Representative for China
2004 – 2005
Senior Advisor, China
SARS Media Centre: Municipality of Beijing
Member, Global Board of Trustees
Chairman, Board of Trustees
Nomination Committee & member of jury
Chairman & Founder
International Advisory Board
Trustee: Gender Parity Global Challenge
Year of France
Secretary General: Honorary Committee
Vice Chairman: Advisory Board
President / Chair
Education & Professional Training
2006 – 2016
Honors, Awards, Publications
Outstanding Merit Award
Debrett’s, Hong Kong
China Advertising Association - CAA
Order of Arts and Letters, France
Order of Agricultural Merit, France
Project Hope Special Award
UNAIDS Gold Medal, United Nations
Order of Academic Palms, France
Order of the Crown of Belgium
Royal Order of Al-Alaoui, Kingdom of Morocco
Star of Italy, Italian Republic
National Order of the Legion of Honor, France
Order of Arts and Letters, France
Honorary certificate “for creative and extraordinary contribution to the Chinese Public Relations Industry”
China Public Relations Association - CIPRA
Publication: Brand Warriors – China (ISBN 9781861976994)
With deep global business, public affairs, and strategic communications expertise, Serge Dumont is a multifaceted leader who will catalyze transformative change at the board level and serve as a trusted advisor to the CEO. With a global perspective and a profound and nuanced understanding of the Asian markets, notably China, Serge’s unique insights on navigating complex environments enable him to drive strategic decision-making, capitalize on emerging opportunities, and mitigate risks. Furthermore, Serge’s unwavering commitment to philanthropic endeavors underscores his dedication to making a lasting impact on a company’s operations and society as a whole.
In 2022, Serge joined the board of directors of Nasdaq-listed East West Bancorp, Inc., the holding company for East West Bank, the largest independent bank in Southern California, where he serves as a member of the nominating/governance and compensation committees. Serge applies to this role his knowledge of corporate affairs, proficiency in crisis management, and keen insights, essential in a world of constant disruptions. His strong command of Chinese, US, and global corporate landscapes supports his ongoing ability to advance business initiatives.
Serge stands as an esteemed pioneer who spearheaded the transformation of the public relations industry in China, elevating it into a thriving and highly sophisticated business sector. For nearly eight years, Serge served as vice chairman of Omnicom Group, Inc. Over his tenure, he successfully managed a portfolio of companies in which Omnicom was invested. Among his achievements, Serge identified and managed acquisitions, cultivated client relationships at the highest level of significant companies, fostered important government relations, and served as the executive sponsor of the employee resource group committed to diversity across Omnicom and its agencies.
Under his leadership, Omnicom partnered with the World Economic Forum, including regularly participating at the conference at Davos to help address global political and economic challenges. During this time, Serge formed an alliance with China Europe International Business School to bring to China Omnicom University, a senior management program that is regarded as one of the preeminent professional development programs within the industry and considered the cultural “glue” of the Omnicom network.
Among his many achievements, Serge is chairman of the board of trustees, co-founder of Asia Society France, vice chairman of the board of ImpactWayv, Inc., and also serves on the boards of Synergos and Asia Society in New York demonstrating his steadfast commitment to philanthropic and community initiatives.
Serge’s impactful role as a special advisor to the president, North Asia for Unilever highlights his ability to provide strategic guidance at the highest levels of multinational corporations. Furthermore, leveraging his deep business acumen, Serge has identified and made strategic investments in startup operations, fostering their growth and enabling them to achieve success under his mentorship.
His visionary leadership and relentless dedication have earned him prestigious honors and awards from national governments and international organizations. In 2006 Serge was named a special representative for UNAIDS, the joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS. Earlier, he led a team of crisis management experts responding to the SARS pandemic in China. Serge is a recipient of France’s Legion d’Honneur; HRH Crown Prince Philippe of Belgium made him an Officer of the Order of the Crown.
Serge graduated from the Sorbonne University in Paris. He holds dual degrees in sociology and oriental languages and civilizations, and has studied at the Taiwan Normal University and the Political Institute in Taipei. He is fluent in English, Mandarin, and French.