Mr. Dumont is a committed philanthropist who has worked to raise awareness of social and cultural causes.
As President of the Rotary Club of Beijing, in 2003 Mr. Dumont organized China’s first celebrity charity gala event to raise awareness of HIV/AIDS. The event convened an alliance of leading international government bodies and non-governmental organizations, and won international recognition. Partners included the United Nations, the European Union, the American Foundation for AIDS Research (amfAR), the China Youth Development Foundation, the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, and others.
He is also a member of the Asia Pacific Leadership Forum for HIV/AIDS and Development.
Building talent in China’s communications industry
In 2004, Mr. Dumont established the first scholarship fund to help develop qualified professionals in China’s communications industry. The Serge Dumont Fund provides scholarships and internships to students at leading Chinese universities. Recipients complete internships at UNAIDS global headquarters in Geneva, regional headquarters for Asia Pacific in Bangkok, other UNAIDS offices around the world.
Supporting the arts and culture
Mr. Dumont was appointed vice president of the Beijing Music Festival international advisory board in 2002.
In 2004, at the request of the French government, he helped arrange the funding for and establish the Honorary Committee of the Year of France in China, a cultural program initiated by the Presidents of China and France.
In 2005, Mr. Dumont advised the Italian government on The Year of Italy in China.
From 2005 to 2006 he acted as honorary representative for China of the prestigious Comité Colbert, an association of French luxury brands founded in 1954.
Corporate and non-profit boards
Currently Mr. Dumont sits on a number of corporate and non-profit advisory boards including:
- Tsinghua University School of Journalism and Communications
- China Europe International Business School (CEIBS) International Advisory Board
- United Nations Silk Road Initiative (City Award Scheme)
He is also a trustee of the China Youth Development Foundation, a leading charity organization that runs the well-known Project Hope program.
He is a member of the World Economic Forum and of the World Economic Forum Risk Response Network
Recognition, honours and awards
- Knight, Légion d’Honneur (Legion of Honor)
- Chevalier des Palmes Académiques (Order of Academic Palms)
- Chevalier du Mérite Agricole (Knight, National Order of Agricultural Merit)
- Officier des Arts et Lettres (Officer of Arts and Letters)
- Grand Officer, Stella della Solidarieta Italiana (Grand Officer of the Star of Italian Solidarity)
- Officer of the Ouissam Alaouite (Royal Order of Al-Alaoui, Kingdom of Morocco)
- Officer of the Order of the Crown of Belgium
- UNAIDS Gold Medal for Outstanding Contributions to the AIDS Response
- Honorary Certificate - number 001 – for “creative and extraordinary contributions to the development of the Chinese Public Relations Industry” – China International Public Relations Association (1997)
- Presidential Citation – Rotary International (2003)
- Project Hope special award for exceptional contributions (2009)
- Agency Innovator 2009 - The Internationalist
- The Holmes Report’s Asia-Pacific Lifetime Achievement Sabre Award for Outstanding Individual Achievement (2011)
- China Advertising Association – Award for outstanding contribution to China’s advertising industry, 43rd IAA World Congress, Beijing (2014)
Mr. Dumont is a frequent speaker and commentator on China-related issues. He is the co-author of Brand Warriors China, published in 2003 in English and Chinese, the first book to analyze top Chinese companies wishing to internationalize their brands.
A graduate of the Sorbonne University in Paris, he holds dual degrees in sociology and oriental languages and civilizations, and has studied at theTaiwan Normal University and the Political Institute in Taipei. He is fluent in Mandarin, English and French.